Blogs I follow

Followers

Quotes

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Our First Day

Today is Labor Day so Adam has the day off and Grandma is visiting for the weekend so I decided today with all that and being our first day to not rush our "schedule". We slept till the kids got up, took our time getting ready for the day and visited with Grandma.  Most of the day we were 2 hours behind my planned schedule. No worries.

After morning prayers, getting dressed, brushing our teeth, fixing hair and eating breakfast we went for a walk around the block. It was nice to get out in the cool early morning temperatures. We came back and got started on Scripture Studies. We all took turns reading verses from 1 Nephi 1. I even helped Alexander say his. Colored a photo of Nephi kneeling down praying.

As the day went on... Dakota was learning well but worried about when are we gonna have a break? When is Grandma leaving? Will she say bye? When can I play games? I felt like taking Technology and Friend time away from him period because he wouldn't stay focused and quite worrying about everything else. I gave them plenty of breaks. Way more than they would have got in a public school, right?!

Alexander enjoyed the listening to the lessons but after about 5 or 10 minutes of it he wanted to go do his own things. Which I mostly allowed him to do. I included him when we could by giving him a coloring page of Ceasar Chavez while we were learning about him and a coloring page of a grizzly bear while we learned about Mountain Animals. I need to think outside of the box and not just about coloring pages. Its just hard to give him much more than that if I am busy talking. Any ideas?

Lexie on the other hand was my hardest today. I totally felt defeated by her attitude and blockage of not wanting to do anything basically. She would be told to do something simple and Dakota had no problem at least trying but she just kept saying "I cant, I don't know what to do, I don't know how." And getting frustrated and crying and putting a block up. She said she felt like I was asking her to do 6th grade work???!!! One question was "Which mountain animal would you like to learn more about? Write three questions you have about the animal you chose. Then do research to find the answers to your questions." Basically she wouldn't pick one of the 7ish animals listed because she didn't have any questions about them. I talked to her at the end of our schooling and told her that she wouldn't treat a teacher the way she is treating me so why do this to me? I asked her what I could do to help her and she basically didn't know. Every time someone would make one little noise or shook the table she would yell at them. I would send her to the kitchen table instead to let her be all by herself to do her work and she still wouldn't get it done because "she didn't know how." I honestly don't know what else to do for her besides just ride it out and hope that the attitude and blockage will pass with time?

I was proud of these little signs Dakota and Lexie made when learning about Ceasar Chavez.

No more sickness in live (with sad faces)

Help workers P.S. don't buy our crops!


Not as fun looking as I'd like it but its good for my first week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment